The World Health Organization produces reports to show how the use of chemicals and other products on food, coupled with the manufacturing processes involved, are actually a threat to our health.
During the last decades, there has been a change towards mechanization and homogenization of farming, which uses pesticides, additives, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, and mass-production techniques. All this is clearly affecting our health, and new diseases are spreading rapidly amongst humans and animals.
If you have a small piece of land or even space for a few pots, it is a wise decision to grow your own organic vegetable garden. Growing your own food organically is sustainable and you decide what goes on your plants and in your soil. Growing your own food especially for the first time can be fun and a great learning opportunity for all the family. Even if you are growing a single tomato plant or have space for a vegetable garden it will be beneficial to your health. Here are seven reasons for growing your own food:
- You will have no additives in your vegetables. Research by organic food associations has shown that additives in our food can cause heart diseases, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity.
2. There will be no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used. These chemical products are applied to obtain crops all the time regardless of plagues or weather conditions and affect the quality of the vegetables. Besides, pesticides are usually poisonous to humans.
3. Your vegetables will not be genetically modified (GM). Antibiotics, drugs and hormones are used on vegetables to grow more and larger ones. One of the consequences of this practice are vegetables which look all the same and are usually tasteless. Besides, we end up consuming the hormones that have been used on the vegetables, with the potential risks for our health.
4. Eating your own organic vegetables will be much healthier for you. They will not contain any of the products or chemicals named above, and they will be much more natural than the ones you would find at the supermarket.
5. Your own organic vegetables will be much tastier. The use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, hormones and antibiotics make vegetables grow unnaturally and take the taste away from them. With organic vegetables, your cooking will be enhanced as their flavour will show fully.
6. Organic farming is friendly to the environment. Because you won’t use pesticides or other equally harmful products on your vegetables, you will not damage the soil or the air with the chemical components.
7. When you grow your own organic vegetables you are contributing to your own self-sustainability and the sustainability of the planet. Small communities have been founded where members exchange products that they grow naturally, thus contributing to creating a friendly and better place for us all.
In the end, eating organic products only means that we do not add anything else to them than they would naturally have. As you can guess, additives, fertilizers, pesticides or hormones are not components of naturally grown food. To better care for your health, grow your own organic vegetables -and a few pots are all you need.